The Hammond is accredited by The Dance Council for Education and Training.
The Dance and Drama awards
are scholarships offering greatly reduced tuition fees and
income-assessed support at some of the leading dance and drama
schools in England. They are funded by the Education Funding
THE HAMMOND ARE DELIGHTED TO REPORT THAT, HAVING BEEN RECOGNISED AS A CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE THROUGH THE MUSIC AND DANCE SCHEME AND RATED AS 'OUTSTANDING' BY OFSTED, WE HAVE NOW RECEIVED A NUMBER OF ADDITIONAL DaDA AWARDS, IN RECOGNITION OF THESE ACHIEVEMENTS.
PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR THE LATEST (FEBRUARY 2013) INFORMATION ON THE DaDA AWARDS:
- Entry by audition in Autumn and Spring terms.
- A new and exciting innovation for The Hammond is the Common First Year for incoming Dance students. This crucial first year has purposely been designed to provide a comprehensive and thorough grounding for all students in the areas of Dance, Acting and Singing - the 'triple threat' of the entertainment industry, now demanded as a matter of course.
- Serving as the perfect grounding for the Professional Diploma in Performing Arts (Dance) or Professional Diploma in Performing Arts (Musical Theatre) and validated by Trinity College, London, this busy and fruitful year will provide the following:
- A complete, professional and comprehensive course in a broad range of dance styles and techniques - contemporary, jazz, street and tap - with classical ballet as the core and foundation of technique and strength to underpin all these genres.
- A range of performance opportunities supported by practical dramatic and vocal training, designed to develop in students all the essential skills required for a career in performance in the theatre, and other associated industries and media.
- A programme of Integrated Professional Studies to broaden and deepen students' knowledge and understanding of Musical Theatre, Dance and Performance. The essential theoretical material contained within this programme, which will run across all three years, supports the practical and technical grounding covered in the Diploma and enables students to develop the ability to work confidently and flexibly as professionals. They become critical independent thinkers with a wide range of transferable skills, and learn to engage effectively in the study, practice and appreciation of performance.
- Successful students proceeding to Professional Studies Year two at The Hammond will then be offered a place on either The Dance, or Musical Theatre Course.
CLICK HERE (Note that this form must be completed by hand and returned by post.).
Photography by Caroline Holden
- £5,457 per term (2013-14)
Professional Diploma in performing arts (Dance)
Validated by Trinity College London
Level 6 course
Complete professional preparation for entering the world of Dance
Comprehensive training in Dance styles and techniques, with Ballet at the core
Internationally renowned guest teachers provide masterclasses
Integrated professional studies to broaden & deepen knowledge of Dance
Accommodation for Senior School (16 and above)
For those senior students who require accommodation in the area, the school will supply parents with a list of vetted landladies/landlords providing boarding or self catering accommodation, during the summer term. The Hammond will have met with, and interviewed all prospective landlords/landladies and have inspected the premises. These people will come from a range of sources including people that will themselves already be known to the Hammond or be recommended by staff, parents, existing landlords/landladies or third parties with whom the Hammond has had dealings. In some cases it will simply be people who are already involved in boarding/letting of property, or wish to become involved and are aware of the fact that theHammond does provide this service for parents/guardians.
The Hammond, as a matter of routine ensure that all prospective live in landlords/landladies have a DBS check undertaken. TheHammondhowever cannot give any assurances or guarantees beyond this. Professional students and their parents or guardians must carry out any further checks that they deem necessary before proceeding to contract with the landlord/landlady, should they so wish.
TheHammond will probably be able to give indicative cost levels for accommodation in the area, but the discussions relating to the specific terms and conditions of contracts will be purely between the students/ parents /guardians and the landlord/landlady.
Subsequently, any issues relating to financial disputes, social aspects of house rules etc are individual to that contract between the landlord/landlady and the professional student/parent/guardian and as such must be resolved directly between those parties.
TheHammond has a policy for monitoring the performance of landlords/landladies through students and parent/guardian feedback and will take this into account when reviewing the list of landlords/landladies and properties that it makes available to students/parents/guardians.
The Hammond likes to feel that this facility can be useful in giving assistance to students/ parents / guardians in this new phase of the student's life; however, there is no need whatsoever to feel obligated to utilise it. All professional students/parents/guardians are free to proceed to investigate the wider accommodation market place available within Chester and the surrounding area, and make the arrangements that best suit them regarding accommodation.
All final year Professional Dance or Musical Theatre
Students join The Hammond's own Company - The Hammond Graduate
8.30 a.m. Arrival at The Hammond. Please report to the main Reception
Welcome by The Hammond Principal and Deputy Principal (Academic)
Please note that there will be a selection process taking place during the morning session
9.00 - 10.30 Ballet including flexibility
10.40 - 11.00 Contemporary
11.00 - 11.20 Jazz
10 minute break - refreshments will be provided
11.30 - 12.30 Vocal warm up - vocal solo (see information sheet attached)
12.30 A light lunch will be provided
1.00 Return to studio to meet with panel members (see information sheet)
In the event that you are not selected for the afternoon programme you are free to leave at this point
1.15 - 1.25 Warm up for dance solo (see information sheet)
1.25 - 2.00 Dance Solos to be shown individually
2.00 - 2.45 Vocal Assessment (2nd choice of song)
2.45 - 4.30 Acting - Monologues and Interview with Panel (see information sheet)
From 2.00 p.m. individual candidates will be taken for their physiotherapy check by The Hammond's Physiotherapist (this will be taking place in conjunction with the vocal assessments).
9.00 - onwards Discussion with:
Deputy Principal (Academic) - followed by tour of School
Company Secretary/Business Manager
Senior Arts Administrator
Please note: Parents are free to return from 1.15 p.m. onwards (following the selection process) or 3.00 p.m. onwards. Candidates will complete their day at approximately 4.30 p.m.
CANDIDATE - INFORMATION SHEET
1. Vocal - Vocal Warm up, followed by vocal solo: The panel will hear an extract from, in the first instance, one of your two chosen musical theatre repertoire songs. Sheet music should be provided and clearly marked. Backing tracks/CD's are NOT suitable.
2. Selection Process Following lunch, candidates will return to the studio to meet with the Audition panel who will advise them as to their suitability to continue with the audition process.
Please note: that in the event you are selected for the afternoon auditions, this does not automatically guaranteed you a place.
3. Dance Solo - Show a prepared dance solo (lasting no longer than 1 minute), any style of dance). Please bring a CD or MP3 format (no Tapes please).
4. Monologues Prepared text: Contemporary speech of your own choice from a published play (post 1960) which is within your age range and a classical speech - Shakespeare. If possible, these pieces should preferably be learnt by heart.
Each Piece to last no longer than one minute.
5. Interview - If you are selected as a successful candidate, you will interviewed by the Audition Panel and asked relevant questions including your Academic A Level subject preferences (optional).
DANCE WEAR REQUIREMENTS
Girls Ballet - Plain leotard, pink tights, and ballet shoes.
If pointe work has not been studied your potential for future training will be assessed.
Contemporary - Plain leotard, footless tights and bare feet
Jazz - Plain leotard, jazz pants or footless tights, jazz shoes or bare feet
Boys Ballet - Your normal dance wear or leotard, tights (dance support) and
or unitard and ballet shoes.
Contemporary - as for ballet with bare feet
Jazz - Plain leotard or T-shirt, jazz pants or track suit bottoms, jazz shoes or bare feet
FORMER HAMMOND GRADUATE STUDENTS ARE WELCOME, WITH PERMISSION, TO RETURN TO SCHOOL AT ANY TIME - WE JUST ASK THAT YOU TELEPHONE ON 01244 305350 PRIOR TO YOUR VISIT AND LET US KNOW.